Unlimited Game Rentals Delivered - Free Trial

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Did the Guitar Hero II patch ruin your XBOX?

Yesterday Red Octane released a patch for Guitar Hero II.  You may recall, certain models were more prone to this problem then others for some reason.  Well, now that the patch has been released everything is all good now right? it doesn't look that way.  There are numerous threads on the official XBOX forums from people saying that their XBOX's no longer work since they downloaded the patch.  

Below are just a few post's from the XBOX forums:

"No problems prior to GH2. Immediately after patch today, game froze on medium level. Looked down and had 3 red rings of death. After power cycle, red rings gone, but now the console freezes immediately upon startup. Sending in so that I can get some crap refurb.

This is clearly not a coincidence. Why hasn't this been published somewhere?"

 

"There is a serious problem here. My 360 worked fine until I installed this Guitar Hero 2 patch and after an hour of playing it began freezing, so I turned it off for 3 hours and tried again. Then it began freezing before it even got to the dashboard. A few more times trying to boot up for tech support and I am now the proud owner if a big white brick. The ring of red lights has prompted tech support to offer me a $130 repair service. But I'm going to wait this out because there is no way I'm going to pay if this update broke my system."

 

"The Patch bricked my xbox, sometimes it takes multiple cycles for it to start working again...Have 2 models of guitars, seems like both of the wammys are crap one 55055 onr 55065, the 55065 is the one I got my game with.  Not sure if the patch helped the wammy cause it bricked my xbox."

I seriously think that Red Octane need's a QA department because I am willing to bet that the Guitars that had the whammy bar problems were definitely hardware related.  Instead of replacing a shit load of guitars, Red Octane thought it would be cheaper just to patch it up with a piece of software that would hopefully remedy the problem because hey, that's cheap right? doesn't look like it now. 

Ok now this is all speculation on my part so until Activision/Red Octane say otherwise, I am sticking to my guns on this one.

No comments: