Unlimited Game Rentals Delivered - Free Trial

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Sony puts Kotaku on blacklist over a rumor! (UPDATE)

Kotaku.com, earlier today posted a rumor that they received about the PS3 adding a "home" function.  You will be able to create an avatar, unlock achievements in all up coming games, this is kind of like blending XBOX LIVE's achievements system with the Wii's Mii creation. From what I can gather, if this is true and if it is you will probably here about it next week at the GDC, also if this comes to fruition what we have here is Sony ripping off other consol's creations.

The best part is that Kotaku.com was warned by Sony to pull the story or they will break all ties with them and require Kotaku to send there PS3 debug kit back.  Kotaku hulked up and said no way and this is what they got from Sony:

 

Brian, This is an email I was really hoping I would never have to write, but it is what it is. When I came on board here at Sony, I made every effort to be as inclusive as possible to media and the blogging community in an effort to improve previously damaged relationships. This included getting people access to executives, opening our events to more individuals and personally responding as quickly as possible to inquiries. This was done in good faith with the thought that the people I was working with would operate with the same integrity and courtesy I think I demonstrated when I was a reporter. Basically, I went out on a limb for a lot of people -- people SCEA PR and SCEA management had written off. I caught a lot of flack for it from folks, but I felt strongly it was the right thing to do.

I am very disappointed that after trying to work with you as closely as possible and provide you and your team with access and information, you chose to report on this rumor.... I can't defend outlets that can't work cooperatively with us.

So, it is for this reason, that we will be canceling all further interviews for Kotaku staff at GDC and will be dis-inviting you to our media event next Tuesday. Until we can find a way to work better together, information provided to your site will only be that found in the public forum.

Again, I take absolutely no joy in sending you this note, but given the situation you have put me into, I have no choice.

Dave Karraker
Sr. Director, Corporate Communications
Sony Computer Entertainment America

I feel that since Sony got so worked up over a rumor the rumor is probably true. 

I want to applaud Kotaku for standing their ground.

Read the whole article here!

Also was reported here!

UPDATE Apparantly Kotaku and Sony has kissed and made up, Brian from Kotaku had this to say:

"We were doing our job and Sony was doing theirs and now we can both continue to do so."

ahhhhhhhh!

No comments: