Unlimited Game Rentals Delivered - Free Trial

Monday, March 12, 2007

What do you think are the 10 most important games?

Kotaku.com did an article about the 10 most important games. After going over the list I found some that I feel should and shouldn't be there.

Henry Lowood, the curator of the Stanford University History of Science and Technology Collections, announced this past week a list of the 10 Most Important Video Games of All Time. This game canon has been created to preserve to cultural and historical significance of gaming. The list is a result of a collaboration between Lowood, Warren Spector, Steve Meretzky, academic researcher Matteo Bittani and gaming journalist Christopher Grant from Joystiq, and represents the games we must protect at all costs...our cultural artifacts.

  • Spacewar! (1962)
  • Star Raiders (1979)
  • Zork (1980)
  • Tetris (1985)
  • SimCity (1989)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990)
  • Civilization I / II (1991)
  • Doom (1993)
  • Warcraft (Series) (1994)
  • Sensible World of Soccer (1994)

Now I agree on some of those but I would replace Mario 3 with Mario 1 because 3 would have never existed without the success of the original Mario bros on the NES, 1985. 

Next I would eliminate Sensible World of Soccer, WTF is that game doing on the list?  I would include Street Fighter 2 because that game revitalized the coin op industry here in America not to mention the 2d fighting frenzy that lasted for over a decade. 

Next I would kick Star Raiders out because that game was horrible, so in it's place I would include Pac Man, everyone knows who Pac Man is.  Pac Man was huge in it's day and has become synonymous with video games.

Last but not least is pong, I know spacewar was an important title but pong is what got the video game industry rolling as we know it today!

For honorable mentions I would have to include the original Madden and Virtua Fighter!

No comments: